Tuesday, November 6, 2007

When it's time to party, it's time to party

So, today I didn’t have to go to my office (the museum) because it is the day after the election. This, of course, doesn’t mean that I didn’t work, in fact, I find myself working more and more in my house, rather than at the museum. I guess this is for a number of reasons. First, the museum is right in the center of town and it’s a prime “na gosti” location. At any random time I’m entertaining anywhere from 2 to 8 people in my office. Second, my boss has a tiny case of ADD, and can’t stand to sit for long periods of time and frequently says, “get up, we’re going for a walk.” Third, I don’t have internet in my office yet, and the majority of my work involves researching funding sources on the web, so I have to go to the school here (because it’s the only place in the village with internet) to search. So, today I woke up to a call from the director of the school who wanted me to come and translate “some documents” for him from Bulgarian to English. I was super excited because it sounded really profound, and I’ll be honest, I was kind of puffed up at the thought that this man trusted me to translate documents! When I got to the school, dictionary in hand, there he stood with a box of pain relieving gel from England. Nuts. I took a deep breath and with the best of my Bulgarian ability, told him that he was to rub this on his sore muscles twice a day. Not as official as I’d hoped, but hey…if I have to help Grohotno one torn ligament at a time…so be it. So, my friend Jemkata had a birthday today. She’s been talking about it all week, she was so excited! She made tons of banitsa and this huge cake for the occasion. One of the 3 local cafes shut down for about 4 hours and about 10 of us ladies hung out and ate, drank, and played horo. I don’t want to brag, but my sugar cookies were a pretty big hit, too. Posted a couple of pics below, so maybe you can get the jist of it all.
Ciao, ciao…
Reggi





this is the guy who owns the cafe we partied at


Misle, the birthday girl, and me



Playing Horo with the gals




Me trying to play "Kurchek" to no avail

8 comments:

lynda sullivan said...

enjoying your moms computer class. She talks of you often, and misses you soo. I have two daughers and can relate. Be safe and enjoy!!!!!

Sincerely,

Lynda

kelsey said...

One of the pictures that i saw of the food was a very interseting looking dish. What exactly is it made out of?

Sassy said...

hey rajun, its mercedes messer, stacey messer's daughter. i just wanted 2 say hi and c how u were doing. luv ur bathroom btw lol jk. ur mom wanted me 2 tell u i was n her class so u wouldn't freak out. well i g2g but ill try 2 talk 2 u l8r. have fun n Bulgaria. :) bye!

Anonymous said...

In one of the pictures that i saw there was a picture of a very interseting looking food. What exactly was it made from?

CryingCrimson said...

Hello, I'm one of your moms students. ^-^

I think its great that your over there trying to help. Thats something I would love to do oneday.

shorty said...

rajun, it is feleicia kephart. i have your mom for a teacher in school. i think it is really cool what you are doing. i have a friend who is going to go to africa this christmas. december 26 is when he is leaving. i would like to do something like this cause i like to help people. well talk to you later.

bubblegumscreamo said...

Hey, this is Valerie and Kylie.
We're in your mom's guideance class. It's awesome that you can go out ther and help those people! Thats somthing that I couldn't do, at this time.
PS: your mom's awesome, and we love her to death!!!!

Soubi said...

Hello Rajunin. I am Soubi(real name Emily Phillips)I am in your mothers guildance class. I believe what you are doing is really cool but it really is shocking to see you in a different place. Its like a whole new world over there isn't it? It surprises me alot. Oh and my display name is Soubi because i like alot of japanese things and plain to go there when i am older. Soubi name means art basicly. The "bi" in "Soubi" means artistic. I draw alot. Well i hope all goes well while your there.