Sunday, January 6, 2008

Christmas in Bulgaria

SO, I spent my very first Christmas away from home this year. The holiday season was tough being so far away, but I made it through and had a great time. Because my village doesn't celebrate Christmas, I spent it in Sapareva Banya with my host fam and two other wonderful Peace Corps Volunteers (Joe 1 and Joe 2) who lived with my host fam before me. Christmas here wasn't TOO very different. I spent alot of my time cooking, as food is a big part of any event here. On the 24th we ate only vegan, so I was a happy happy girl. The next day, however, was a meet fest...only after we opened our presents from Santa. I spent the New Year here in Grohotno. Again, spent the entire day cooking with some of the women here in the village (Banitsa and Baklava...mmmmmm) and at 12 we went outside and danced in the street for hours to the light of fireworks. Below, I'm posting pics of a holiday program they had at the school, and some pics of Sapareva Banya.
Rajun :)



Making tikvi (pumpkin) banitsa Christmas Eve Morning with Joe2.




Writing my name on my very own stocking!







Christmas Eve Dinner



All of us in front of the tree we decorated




The 8th grade girls here doing traditional dances





Santa visiting the 2nd graders!




1 comment:

Deborah Webster said...

I am in your mothers class.I loved looking at your pictures.
God bless you.
Debbie Webster