Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Velik Den

So, this past weekend was Easter or "Velik Den" in Bulgaria as per the Orthodox faith. As my village doesn't celebrate this Christian holiday I high tailed it to Sapareva Banya to celebrate with my host family and some other volunteers. Traditionally, on the Thursday before Easter families dye easter eggs. I didn't get to Sapareva Banya until Saturday so I missed out on that, but I did get to crack them! As you can see in the pictures below, you choose an easter egg from the bunch and crack them against someone else's whoever's egg cracks first loses. We also ate traditional easter cakes or "kozanak." Ani made a ton some with chocolate and some with these little jelly things inside. On Sunday we had a lunch of lamb and liver rice...so, I've come to the conclusion that it is impossible for a vegetarian to celebrate any holiday in Bulgaria as they all involve some kind of meat! All in all it was a really great vacation and a good celebration. Pics below.
Rajun



Joe Edno and Joe Dve cracking eggs.




Posing with MY beer...the chick on the bottle has blonde hair and blue eyes...by default we are twins.






Crackin' eggs with Joe...I lost EVERY TIME






Kozanak...Ani made like 8 loaves. I probably put away about 3.



All us kids together from right to left: Patty, Joe Dve (2), Me and Joe Edno (1)




1 comment:

Charlotte Yadin said...

Hi i just checked out your blog and stop by to ask if you have recipe of kozanak. I am very interested in Bulgarian food and one of my Bulgarian friends took me kozanak from Bulgary. I really loved to able to do it by myself. You can reach me from the following adress. charlotteyadin@gmail.com
Thanks for your reply in advance :)