Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My family on my side of the world (part 2)

Having my sister here for my ballet classes was such an awesome blessing! I started the classes, split into 3 groups by age in mid feb of 2008. I've taught dance for many years, but never to kids who have had absolutely no prior experience and who had never even been exposed to the art of classical ballet. By July, they had learned so much and were even grand jete' ing without a bucket in the middle of the floor. However, as they are children, ballet was getting a bit monotonous and I was in a creative draught. My sister twirled into the room bringing with her this beautiful new energy and tons of yummy new choreography. The ballerinas, like most people, clung to my sister and hung on her every word....I forgot at one point that they didn't even understand anything she was saying! I watched on like a proud big sister as Cody walked around the room fixing flexed feet, and spotting back bends. Everyonceinawhile she would turn to me and say, "How do you say your leg must be straighter?" Immediately followed by a thick accented, "Po prava, be...krakata." Though my sister went home, she left behind the enthusiasm that it takes to get through at least 5 minutes of needed stretching, to put up with a song even though it's slow and "boring", and to smile and be proud even when your arabesque is just a little wobbly. THANKS CODY!


My groupII ballerinas letting my sister know how much they missed her!




My sister and I with the director fo the school and some of our younger ballerinas






Cody leading us on our barre excersizes

No comments: